Phototherapy Patient Information
Narrowband UVB Light Therapy (NB-UVB)
A UVB narrowband lamp emits safe light energy.
Narrowband UVB lights (NB-UVB) comprises a subset of the UVB spectrum centered at roughly 311 nm. This is less than 1% of total range of wavelengths from sunlight.
Narrowband UVB lamps (NB-UVB) are available on all National Biological home Phototherapy units.
Of course, your doctor may prescribe another wavelength such as UVA or UVB. We carry those wavelengths on many of our units also.
Studies have shown that:
- Narrow band UVB light treatment uses the optimal part of the UVB light spectrum which slows growth of psoriasis lesions or re-pigmentation of one's natural skin coloring.
- Exposure time of narrowband UVB lamps can be longer than with traditional broadband UVB yielding more effective results. Recent studies have shown 75% clearing (PASI 75) with narrowband UVB.
- Erythemal response (similar to sunburn) is nearly eliminated with narrowband UVB light.
- Risks and side effects of other treatments such as systemic drugs have not been found with narrowband UVB light therapy.
NB-UVB therapeutic advantages for your skin condition
- Psoriasis - Narrowband UVB light treatment provide faster clearing, less sun burning, and more complete disease resolution than traditional UVB and is much safer than biologics.
- Vitiligo - Narrowband UVB lights are proving to be very useful in the treatment of Vitiligo. Narrowband UVB light treatment is replacing traditional PUVA phototherapy treatment. UVB narrowband lamps for vitiligo require no photo-sensitizing agents.
Find the right narrowband UVB light unit
Covered by most insurance carriers. Federal law restricts the sale of this device by or on the order of a physician. We are the only company certified to ship phototherapy units to Canada.